Thursday, October 18, 2012

First Blog!

So, I decided it was about time for me to get in on this Blogging thing. I think that my friends are getting a little tired/bored with all of my recent topics of conversation and Facebook posts. As most of my them belong in the same 3 categories: Weight Loss, Food, and Exercise.
By creating this blog, I can now post ALL I want to about things in these categories and not worry about people thinking, "Oh great! There she goes again."
I've found that by being open about my weight loss journey and sharing things, I do better. Having the audience, accountability, and support has been amazing! This is why I'm so obsessed with www.myfitnesspal.com. It has really changed my life.
I guess a proper 1st Blog would provide an introduction of sorts.
My name is Amanda. I'm overweight! Yes, that is said with a bit of excitement. Because not too long ago, I was very obese. And sometime here in the future, I will be normal weight.
I wasn't aware of just how obese I was until I started having hospital visit after hospital visit for one problem and then another. This past summer while at one of my many hospital visits this year has offered, I stepped on their scale. This was the first time I had stepped on a scale in months. I saw a number pop up that I couldn't believe... I was over 200lbs! When did that happen? I was completely disgusted with myself. I knew I was fat but just didn't really realize how fat I had gotten. I was already at a point where I avoided being in pictures or wearing nice clothes. I tried to hide my fat (even from myself). But there was no hiding that number that I saw. It was stuck in my head. I started making small changes and saw small changes.
It wasn't until July 17, 2012 that I was introduced to My Fitness Pal. This was the day that I began making REAL changes. I decided I was done drinking soda. I also decided on a daily calorie goal and was set on keeping to it. I began measuring and logging everything I ate or drank. The first week was tough but when I made it through and saw weight loss (6 lbs the first week), I had this surge of motivation. I began adding in exercise. It was very slow at first. It takes some time to go from sedentary to active. But I didn't give up. I went and pushed myself a little bit more each day. 3 months later, I'm still very dedicated to logging everything I intake and all of the calories I burn through exercise. I have a workout routine that I follow and actually look forward to every morning. I'm down 40 pounds now. I still have a lot to lose and feel like I am only getting started. After I finish losing the weight, I'm going to focus on building lean muscle and staying fit. This isn't just a quick diet to lose weight but a lifestyle change for me. One that has been a long time coming.
One thing that has changed the most is my relationship with food and my kitchen. I use to LOATHE cooking. I'd go in there and do what I could to make it quick and get it over with. This resulted in a lot of processed foods and pre-made meals. And of course it didn't taste good, so I developed an unhealthy preference to take out or fast food.
Not anymore. I am always looking for new recipes and make sure to work at least one new recipe in each week. I prefer homemade food now. I've learned recipes to things I would never have thought to make homemade before, such as applesauce. Now it's one of my favorite and most used recipes. I'm not a great cook but I'm much better than I use to be. It's funny to think that the thing that got me in the most trouble with weight (food) is also what is helping the most to lose the weight.
When I first started losing weight, I was depriving myself of anything and everything I use to enjoy eating. That was miserable. I love food. I enjoy it and the depriving I was doing was only setting myself up for failure. I've now learned to change things around and make healthier, lighter versions of the foods I love. Which I have been able to do thanks to a wonderful site: www.skinnytaste.com. Her recipes have helped me GREATLY!
Eating things I enjoy with healthy twists helps keep me satisfied and prevents me from splurging or binging later on. I use to be a binger. BIG TIME! I could stuff my face with ridiculous amounts of terrible foods and never feel full. But as my relationship with food has changed, I know I can stick to my goals and enjoy food at the same time with moderation and smart choices.
I still have a lot to learn with food and fitness. I still have inner battles that I fight everyday. But I'm making improvements each day and sticking to my goal.
And I think that's a good amount of info to take in for a 1st blog!
Thanks for joining me on this journey. Now be prepared for blogs about food, weight loss, and exercise! I'll be sharing the recipes I try, the workouts I've been experimenting with, and anything else there is to share. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment