Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pancake Day

When I first started changing my eating habits, I banned all foods that I use to love (because they were all bad and should never ever be eaten again, right?). I was doing pretty good eating new things like oatmeal and eggs for breakfast. Two foods I use to hate. My taste buds were slowly adjusting and I could stomach things I use to turn my nose up to months ago. Except onions. I will never be able to enjoy onions.
Well, one day my daughter asked (more like begged) me to make her some pancakes. I thought about it and agreed that I would make some that Saturday. I began looking for some recipes that would be low calorie and low sugar and as healthy as possible, so that I could enjoy them too. I was very surprised at the many options out there. This is when my addiction to the site www.skinnytaste.com was born. I began by making the banana nut pancakes on her site. They turned out really good. The kids were happy and so was I. I decided that pancakes once a week would be nice. Pancake Saturday (sorry I don't have a cooler fun name for it) was set. I've tried several of the recipes on the site and have enjoyed them all. It was through this site that I was introduced to another site.  My new obsession: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/about-2/.
I decided to make the brownie batter pancakes she has on there. They look so delicious and were just haunting my dreams. I must say, I'm very pleased with the results. I didn't have spelt flour, so I used whole wheat. She recommends using less sugar if you are using syrup. So that's what I did, I put less sugar in the recipe and enjoyed them with some syrup drizzled on top and some fat free cool whip. It tasted like a dessert. Paired it with some turkey sausage and I was very happy at breakfast time this morning. The kids LOVED them as well. Now that this day has passed, I will look through the many recipes both sites have for pancakes and plan what lovely creation I will have next Saturday.


While I was in the baking mood, I decided that I would make my mom some chocolate chip bread. She is going out of town and wanted to know if I would make her some mini loaves to take with her. I saved a few slices for myself. I started off using this recipe exact http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/petite-chocolate-chip-banana-bread.html. I now leave the banana out and just use a full cup of applesauce. Also, I use whole wheat flour because it's what I have in the house and I prefer the taste now.
They turned out  good and I plan on having one tomorrow with some coffee for breakfast. It's been a sweet weekend. ;)
I would just like to say, homemade applesauce is the best. I use it for EVERYTHING! Both the pancakes and the bread have some applesauce in them. Much healthier than adding oil and sugar but still tastes great!



I typically don't work out on Saturdays anymore. I use to work out every single day. It led to me being sore and tired at the end of the week. When my gym hours changed (Mon-Fri) I decided that would be a good way to ease up on my weekends. Saturdays are relaxing. The kids and I are usually running around doing some sort of activity but it's enjoyable. Sundays are when I have my weekly weigh-in. That tends to motivate me to do a little something at home. Usually it's some time doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred or a walk around the neighborhood. I'm trying to learn of some effective exercises to do with kettlebells. I received a set for my birthday this year and haven't had a chance to use them as much as I would like. I found this youtube workout video that is 30 minutes of kettlebell work outs. I'm going to try it out tomorrow. Hoping it's a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDMOIlPLFE
I'm on the waiting list for a program offered at my gym which will provide me with a fitness trainer. I'm eager for them to get to me on the list and call me. I can't wait to start this program and create a workout designed for me by someone who knows a little bit more about the subject than I do.
I bought a motivator dress today. It was at a yardsale (never been worn.. still had the tags) and for only $3.00. It's too small for me now. I can't even get the zipper half way up. I will be leaving it at the front of my closet, so that I can see it each day. It'll be that extra push to keep working hard. I can't wait until the day comes that I can wear it!

2 comments:

  1. I recently picked up a few kettlebells myself but haven't used them yet. I bought Jillian's Shred-it with Weights (which I'm sure will kick my A**!!) Did you try the above linked video? How was it?

    I love your idea of buying a motivator outfit. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did! I've been meaning to write about it. :)
    It was okay. There we some moves that were a little too hard for me and others that I didn't quite see how they helped. Overall, I think I'll do some sort of mix of the workout on those days where I can't hit the gym or want a little something extra. There is definitely A LOT you can do with a kettlebell!

    ReplyDelete