Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Triathlon? Why not!

I have a new goal to add to my list! I'm very excited about it. My very first ever Triathlon! The triathlon will include a 3.3 mile run, 1/2 mile swim, and a 12 mile bike. I have ALWAYS wanted to do one. In fact, as far as bucket list goes, it was under the, "Do Before Turning 30" category.
My sister-in-law was talking about doing a triathlon that will be going on in her area next year. She was wanting to see if there was anyone who wanted to join her. I thought it was awesome for her and instantly wished there was a way I could do one. But then it hit me. Why can't I? I've been kicking butt in the gym lately. I'm in way better shape than I was a couple of months ago. If I set my sights on doing a triathlon next year, what's to stop me? Nothing. So, after speaking it over with the husband, we decided it'd be a fun reason to go down there and visit. My SIL and I are now discussing our training schedules and getting the ball rolling. This is happening.
I changed my gym routine around today to involve time on the treadmill running. I ran the whole way but I need to cut a good 9 minutes off of my running time. Discouraging? Not at all. 3 months ago, I couldn't have ran 3 minutes straight, let alone 3 miles! I'll have more than 3 months to train my body to adjust to the new speed. The biking will be pretty easy for me. The real challenge will be the swimming. I'm a decent swimmer but I don't have any real method for doing it. I just get in the water and move my body in a way that gets me across the water without going under. Fortunately for me, my husband is a fish. This dude use to teach children how to swim and has taught many grown men how to swim. He makes it look easy! He has offered to be my personal coach in swimming as soon as he gets back home. So, with him on my side, I have no fears about getting the swimming challenge conquered before the big date next year. Just a warning: you will probably be reading a lot about my triathlon training over the next year.
This has even bumped up my confidence to do a 5k run coming up next month right here where I live. First one ever! It's amazing how one decision can lead to so many other healthy and awesome decisions. Confidence is contagious if you let it be. Even more exciting is the thought that I should be at my goal weight this time next year. I'll be kicking butt in a triathlon and looking good doing it!


 
These are my kettlebells. Aren't they pretty? Well, they are no longer sitting in my closet to look pretty. I've been finding good ways to use them at home.
Last weekend, I tried that youtube video with the kettlebell exercises. It's a pretty good workout. You definitely feel it! I'm not a fan of all of the workouts in the video. Especially the one where you have to pass it through your legs. I'm just too clumsy for that. Almost broke a toe once or twice. The squats were really great with them! I felt it so much more than when I do regular squats. Overall, I'm glad I tried it out. I'll be researching more ways to use them and they can be my "go-to workout" when the weekends are around and I feel like I need to workout but can't go to the gym.

I've been enjoying baked oatmeal for breakfast this week. I used the Blueberry Banana Recipe a week ago and really enjoyed it. This time, I decided to use strawberries and apples (my two favorite fruits). I only use half of the honey the recipe calls for because the fruit is sweet enough to me. Turned out really yummy!! I wrapped each serving up in wax paper and put them in the freezer. Pop them in the microwave in the morning and breakfast is ready.
Here's what it looked like when I first started throwing it together:

And here's the finished product:
Just as the recipe says, I cut it into 6 servings.  It's perfect to have before I go to the gym for my morning workout. It's filling but not TOO filling. And I think it's better than regular oatmeal, it's not as mooshy as a bowl of oatmeal.

And one last pic before I call it a night. Remember that dress I mentioned last post? The one I bought too small as a goal to work for? Well, here it is! If that doesn't make you want to lose weight, nothing will! ;)

1 comment: